The future of gold | The 30-year view: examining the future of gold
The World Gold Council today launched a one-off essay collection, Gold 2048, bringing together industry-leading experts from across the globe to analyse how the gold market is set to evolve in the next 30 years.
Key conclusions emerging from authors such as George Magnus, senior economist; Rick Lacaille, Global Chief Investment Officer of State Street Global Advisors; and Michelle Ash, Chief Innovation Officer at Barrick Gold include:
- The expanding middle class in China and India, combined with broader economic growth, will have a significant impact on gold demand.
- Use of gold across energy, healthcare and technology is changing rapidly. Gold’s position as a material of choice is expected to continue and evolve over the coming decades.
- Mobile apps for gold investment, which allow individuals to buy, sell, invest and gift gold will develop rapidly in India and China.
- Environmental, social and governance issues will play an increasing role in re-shaping mining production methods.
- The gold mining industry will have to grapple with the challenge of producing similar levels of gold over the next 30 years to match the volume it has historically delivered.
Aram Shishmanian, CEO of the World Gold Council commented: “Since its creation in 1987, the World Gold Council has worked with policymakers, regulators and industry participants to drive understanding of and, ultimately, demand for gold.
“The next 30 years will no doubt bring significant changes – some we anticipate, some that none of us predict. I am delighted that in Gold 2048 we have brought together a stellar set of contributors – economists, investment managers, leaders in the mining industry, as well as our own specialists – to consider the global trends and dynamics that will drive this fascinating market forward.
The full collection is available for download here.
For further information please contact:
World Gold Council
T +44 207 826 4763
T +44 203 047 2587
Note to editors:
World Gold Council
The World Gold Council is the market development organisation for the gold industry. Our purpose is to stimulate and sustain demand for gold, provide industry leadership and be the global authority on the gold market.
We develop gold-backed solutions, services and products, based on authoritative market insight and we work with a range of partners to put our ideas into action. As a result, we create structural shifts in demand for gold across key market sectors. We provide insights into the international gold markets, helping people to understand the wealth preservation qualities of gold and its role in meeting the social and environmental needs of society.
The membership of the World Gold Council includes the world’s leading and most forward thinking gold mining companies.